Welcome to our Home Building ParTay!! This is the place to walk step by step (day by day) with us as we make our MT House into a Home!

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Cabinets and Countertops- Check!

About a month ago (sometime in late December), after we got the basic idea of what shape and size the kitchen would be, I drew up a plan for what I wanted the cabinets in the kitchen and the laundry room to look like. I used graph paper so it could be somewhat accurately proportionate. (Cuz that makes me happy! LOL) I really should go back to school for a degree in something like this. I love this stuff!
On January 18th- I met with Chuck and Gaye Akerman from Power Townsend to see what she'd come up with based on my ideas. It was pretty close- just needed a little tweaking- (cuz I always tweak things. :) I went home and drew up a slight variation for the kitchen to make it look more proportionate since we ended up with extra space on one end. Did I mention how much I like drawing these things up? 
I still am having issues making the laundry room work Grrrr! But I've been looking up lots of ideas on the internet. Somethings gotta work, right?
In the past week, I've been back twice to meet with Gaye and I think today, we finally got it. I'm so excited!!!! Except for the fact that the price came back in higher than we have an allowance for. The cream paint and brown glaze costs more. However, I told Chuck that I wanted this specific kind from day one so- we're in the process of seeing what we can do to make it work. He said that the well cost might come in lower. Also, I found one cabinet that is discounted. I took back-splash out of the kitchen. And gave up some counter space I wanted in the laundry room. Plus I'm trying to see if I can cut the price of a few other things to make up for the difference. Hopefully we can make it work.
Here's the Cabinet plans we came up with [Happy day for me!]:
Kitchen
Kitchen bar- it will seat 4 on the back side and we are thinking of doing bead board on the back. Darling!
Laundry Room- Cross your fingers it works once we frame that room
I'm also going to add a bar from the cupboard to the wall to hang things to dry
Master Bathroom- All the other baths have cabinets that look like one side of this one
And here's what the actual cabinets [made from Mastercraft] will look like- except we will add oil-rubbed bronze handles which will make the glaze pop! We will have crown molding around the top of all the upper cupboards. So pretty. I love them!
We also picked out flooring and this amazing granite looking counter-top called Winter Carnival from Wilsonart. It ties all my cabinets, floor, and appliances together. I'm in love! Thanks to Gaye for helping design my dream cabinets. You are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment